Wednesday 9 February 2011

Statement of Intent

In the 600 hours allocated for this module I intend to produce several outcomes based around the theme of communication.  I will divide my time up between research, development work and will dedicate plenty of time nearer the end of the project to actually make up my final pieces.  I would like to experiment and try out some new things that I have never done before.  Under the theme of communication, I am going to explore identity: how the ability to communicate quickly and freely has lead to a change in how people express themselves, and how people project themselves to society. 
I first decided that I wanted to look at this subject when I kept reading reports in newspapers and magazines about how the development of technology has lead to a change in the way society communicates with each other: people are being made redundant via email, proposed to via answer phone message, and being told ‘I love you’ via text.  Does this impersonal and unemotional way of communicating really possess the same value to that of face-to-face conversation in today’s society?
Furthermore, just by logging in to a social networking site you can learn an abundance of information about a lot of people (often those who you do not even know socially) within just minutes.  But why are people so keen to share every detail of their personal life online?  It seems more and more common to find trivial matters displayed in a serious context and serious matters sent in trivial ways, for example, a marriage proposal by text.  Does it really mean the same thing?
I think that this project could help me to develop some of my current skills further and to possibly learn some new ones too.  I intend to produce an interesting and thought-provoking piece of design, which will be interactive and original in its approach.  

No comments:

Post a Comment